Immigrant programs

The Francophone and Acadian communities have a proactive immigration strategy. One of our objectives is to increase the number of French-speaking immigrants who choose to settle in these communities.

Your point of entry for information on immigration programs is the Canadian federal department, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship  Canada(IRCC).

It is important to take the time to consult the Francophone Immigration (outside Quebec) page on the IRCC website, which includes information on the Welcoming Francophone Communities initiative to attend the various Mobility Forum webinars the government organizes through Destination Canada. On the Immigrate to Canada page, you will find information on ways to immigrate to Canada, including via the Express Entry program. You can also find information on French-language services before your arrival and settlement services once you are here, for each province and territory.

Canada has signed agreements with certain countries whose nationals can avail of opportunities to do internships or work while in Canada. The International Experience Canada (IEC) program, in particular, allows several thousand young people from France, Belgium and Switzerland to visit and work in Canada each year. In recent years, many young people with working holiday visas have been able to discover the French-speaking communities of the Yukon, British Columbia, Ontario and Newfoundland and Labrador.

Find out more:

Choose your region

Canada is the second largest country in the world. It has five time zones, seven distinct climates and a wide variety of landforms, with a vast maritime territory, interior plains and mountain ranges. To help you integrate, your life project must be carefully thought out according to the different choices available to you:

  • Lifestyle: do you prefer urban or rural settings?
  • Personal interests: do you like visiting museums? Do you like multicultural environments? Do you enjoy outdoor activities? Do you already know people in Canada who could help you?
  • Career opportunities: some types of trades are in demand across Canada, others are specific to a province or territory (forestry, aerospace). In addition, 20% of occupations are regulated at the provincial and territorial level in order to protect the health and safety of Canadians. What field would you like to work in?
  • Family priorities: consider your children’s field of study, your need to be near an international airport, a health care centre, etc. What personal interests will you and your family prioritize?

Francophone and Acadian communities — which you can find in every province and territory — offer rich life experiences.

Our interactive map is an effective tool to help you identify which one will become your community.

Find out more:

Working in Canada

The Government of Canada and the provincial and territorial governments managea variety of programs for those who are considering immigrating to Canada to work, invest or start a business. It is important to know that even though it is possible to live in French in Canada’s Francophone and Acadian communities, knowledge of English is a major asset for successful integration into the workforce.

Find the programs under the heading “Immigrant Program”.

Getting a job offer from a Canadian employer can start the immigration process. To search for a job in Canada, you can visit various websites and even find information on the types of jobs in demand in Canada.

Destination Canada Mobility Forum is an annual event organized by the Government of Canada’s delegations in Paris and Brussels. It is an opportunity to meet with employers and representatives of Canadian institutions that need skilled labour in various fields.

Useful links :

Be careful!

Certain websites and individuals take advantage of the high demand for immigration to Canada and use fraudulent means to prey on prospective immigrants. Be vigilant and consult the relevant section of the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website:

Studying in Canada

Outside Quebec, Canada has 13 world-renowned universities where you can study entirely in French, including the Université Sainte-Anne in Nova Scotia, one of the three campuses of the Université de Moncton in New Brunswick, and the Université de Saint-Boniface in Manitoba. For more information, visit the Association des collèges et universités de la francophonie canadienne (ACUFC, Association of Canadian Francophonie Colleges and Universities).

The Réseau des collèges et cégeps francophones du Canada (Network of Francophone Colleges and Cégeps of Canada) will provide you with information on the 17 French-language community colleges and college education services in the Francophone and Acadian communities.


Are you looking for a school for your children? Visit the French-language education website in Canada and find an elementary or secondary school among the 699 schools that offer a high-quality education to nearly 150,000 French-speaking students across the country. Find all the figures by province and territory on the map of French-language schools produced by the Association canadienne d’éducation de langue française (Canadian Association for French-Language Education).

Find out more:

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What are the labour needs in Canada?

Canada is currently experiencing a labour shortage in various sectors. The Economic Development and Employability Network (Réseau de développement économique et d’employabilité, RDÉE Canada) has the expertise that Francophone and bilingual immigrants need for their economic integration. RDÉE Canada’s employability fact sheets present the major job-creating sectors by province or territory.

  1. Is it possible to work in French?

It is possible to work in French outside Quebec, but the majority of jobs will be in English or in both languages. Francophone and Acadian communities have labour needs and employment opportunities, particularly in French-language primary and secondary education, daycare, health care and administration.

  1. Are jobs regulated?

In Canada, 20% of occupations are regulated to protect the health and safety of Canadians. Unlike other countries, most occupations in Canada are regulated by the provinces and territories. Each province and each occupation has its own regulatory bodies and processes. That’s why it’s important to choose your destination before you begin the certification process. To find out which job is regulated, visit the The Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC). 

  1. What about the equivalence of French diplomas in Canada?

An educational credential assessment (ECA) is used to ensure that your foreign degree, diploma or certificate (or other proof of credentials) is valid and equivalent to a Canadian degree, diploma or certificate. There are different types of ECAs. An assessment allows you to:

Please note: the ECA does not give you a licence to practice a regulated occupation; you will still need to meet other requirements.

For more information, visit the World Education Services  website

Skip to content